Using your card abroad
Visa cards are a safe and easy way to pay abroad. Here are some simple tips for carrying and using your Visa card when travelling.
Before you leave:
- Check the expiry date on your Visa card
- Make sure that you have enough funds in your account, or that your card payments are up-to-date
- Photocopy your Visa card and passport, but keep the photocopies separate
- Write down the telephone numbers for our assistance call centres - these can be found on our I've lost my Visa page.
When you get there:
- Try not to keep cards and cash in the same place - that way you won't lose everything
- In crowded places, hold bags or wallets close to your body - and whilst it may not be very stylish, a money belt can be very useful
- When you pay with your Visa card, check the information on the sales voucher before you sign or enter your Personal Identification Number (PIN)
- Use safety deposit boxes or room safes in hotels
- Keep a copy of all sales receipts and check them against your statement
- Memorise your PIN if you plan to get local currency from an ATM - and make sure nobody is looking when you withdraw money.